Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator How to Write a Narrative Essay for Secondary Students - london2day

How to Write a Narrative Essay for Secondary Students


How to Write a Narrative Essay for Secondary Students


If you are a teacher of English or a student and you want to know the best way to teach or learn how to write a narrative essay, then you are in the right place. Please, have a seat and a cup of tea and follow the following explanation.
A narrative essay is a type of writing that tells a story. It can be about a personal experience, a fictional event, or something that happened in the news. Narrative essays are typically written in the first person, and they use vivid language and dialogue to bring the story to life.

Here are some tips on how to write a narrative essay:

  • Choose a topic that is interesting and engaging. Your topic should be something that you are passionate about, and that you think your readers will be interested in.
  • Do your research. Once you have chosen a topic, take some time to do some research. This will help you to understand the topic better, and it will also help you to find interesting facts and details to include in your essay.
  • Write a strong introduction. Your introduction should grab the reader's attention and make them want to read more. You can do this by starting with a strong hook, such as a question, a quote, or a startling statistic.
  • Tell a clear and concise story. Your narrative essay should have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Be sure to include all of the important details, but don't get bogged down in unnecessary information.
  • Use vivid language and dialogue. Vivid language will help your readers to visualize the events of your story. Dialogue can help to add realism and interest to your essay.
  • Have a clear purpose. Every narrative essay should have a clear purpose. What do you want the reader to learn from your story? Are you trying to entertain them, inform them, or persuade them? Once you know your purpose, you can tailor your writing to achieve it.
  • Proofread carefully. Before you submit your essay, be sure to proofread it carefully for any errors in grammar, spelling, or punctuation. A well-written narrative essay will make a good impression on your reader and help you achieve your purpose.

Here is an example of a narrative essay:

The Day I Learned to Swim

    I was 10 years old when I learned to swim. I had always been afraid of the water, but one day my parents decided to sign me up for swimming lessons. I was terrified at first, but the instructor was patient and encouraging. She helped me to overcome my fear and learn how to float, swim, and even dive.

   I remember the day I learned to swim like it was yesterday. I was in the deep end of the pool, and the instructor told me to jump in. I was so scared, but I knew I had to do it. I took a deep breath and jumped. I sank to the bottom of the pool, but the instructor was right there to help me. She helped me to float to the surface, and then she showed me how to swim.

   I practiced swimming every day after that. I swam in the pool, I swam in the ocean, and I even swam in the lake. I loved swimming so much that I started swimming competitively. I swam for my school team, and I even swam in a few state championships.

   Swimming has taught me a lot about myself. It has taught me that I am capable of more than I thought I was. It has also taught me that I can overcome my fears if I just keep trying. I am so grateful for the day I learned to swim. It was a day that changed my life forever.

Some hints on the essay:

  • Purpose: The purpose of this narrative essay is to share a personal experience that taught me a valuable lesson. I hope that by sharing my story, I can inspire others to overcome their fears and achieve their goals.
  • Audience: This essay is intended for a general audience. Anyone who is interested in reading about a personal experience that taught a valuable lesson will enjoy this essay.
  • Tone: The tone of this essay is positive and inspiring. I want my readers to feel motivated and inspired by my story.
  • Organization: This essay is organized chronologically. I start by introducing the topic, then I tell the story of how I learned to swim, and finally I share the lessons that I learned from this experience.
  • Supporting details: I use vivid language and dialogue to bring my story to life. I also include specific details to help my readers understand the events of my story.
  • Conclusion: In the conclusion, I summarize the main points of my essay and reiterate the purpose of my writing. I also leave my readers with a call to action. I encourage them to overcome their fears and achieve their goals.

Next Post Previous Post
No Comment
Add Comment
comment url